Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hoppily Ever After / Entombed

My dear friend and step-grandfather Mike Bosak passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 91 in Carlsbad, CA.  While living in Temecula he founded All About Beer magazine and was a beer enthusiast since craft got started down in Northern San Diego.  Story goes he gave his entire brewing book collection to Vinny C before Blind Pig was formed.  At least I think that's the story, can't ask him anymore... such is life.  He fostered my early interest in homebrewing, gave me a stack of old All About Beer mags and accompanied me on my first visits to Stone.  I just got married and he helped me nail down the recipe for my wedding brew that we served on tap and gave away in bottles.  Sadly he left just days before the wedding, and never got to taste the final version.  His children and grandchildren decided to bury him with a bottle of the brew so he might enjoy it in the hereafter.  This is a huge honor.

Hoppily Ever After / Entombed Rye IPA

7.7 gal pre-boil, 6 gallon post, 60 min
Mash: Single infusion @ 149, batch sparge
O.G. 1.065. Pre-boil gravity: 1.055. F.G. 1.012
Fermentation Temp: 62-72

Grain Bill
11 lb 2row
2.2 lb Flaked Rye
1 lb C20
.4 lb carapils
.4 lb wheat

Yeast
WLP001
Hops
1.5 oz Centennial @ 60
0.5 oz each of Simcoe & Citra @ 10 & 5
1.5 oz each of Simcoe & Citra @ 1
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop
2 oz Citra Dry Hop

Others
1 Whrifloc tablet

Water Treatment:
Base: Arrowhead Spring Water
Mash: 2g Gypsum, Calc. Chloride, & Baking Soda. 3g Epsom
Boil: 1.8g Gypsum, Calc. Chloride, & Baking Soda. 2.7g Epsom

Note: I brewed this five times with different combinations of Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, and Centennial. All tasty but some Centennial is required in the dry hops to balance the fruity.

No comments:

Post a Comment